As most everything can be done on a smartphone, it should be no surprise there is now a proverbial universe of apps available that allow you to control various elements of your house. While some people already have jumped on this bandwagon, it is still relatively novel technology. Let’s take a look at some of the key considerations involved in home-monitoring and automation apps.
Core benefits of these apps
The more-popular types of apps include those that allow you to control lights, security and heating and air-conditioning systems through your smartphone. Here are a few of the advantages involved:
- MaRS, a Canadian firm that supports entrepreneurs, points out that connected homes can help bolster energy efficiency, specifically for heating and cooling systems. What’s more, the data gathered from connected homes fuels eco-friendly research and initiatives.
- Alarm.com, a home-security service provider, states that wireless security systems that can be monitored through apps tend to improve protection against theft, fires and other calamities, while also being quicker and more efficient to install than traditional systems.
- Casaplex, a smart building company, explains that lighting-control apps can save homeowners on electric bills, reduce the number of light switches necessary on the walls of the home, and alleviate stress associated with forgetting to turn the lights off when leaving for work or vacation.
Costs of deployment
If you have a home that was built decades ago, chances are you will need to make structural upgrades to actually be able to use an app. Different elements of the home will come with varying demands and costs, including the following:
- Electronic House, a firm providing “smart home” plans, explains that electric monitoring systems compatible with apps can range from $80 to $300, but tend to be easy to install.
- There are numerous home security monitoring systems. TechHive, an online publication, affirms that Presence might be the simplest, most affordable of all. According to the news provider, Presence is an app that can convert old smartphones and tablets into monitoring devices, which then connect to your active smartphone through an app. This would require the least amount of setup, the publication asserts.
Make sure you shop around and read all of the reviews before choosing your home-monitoring apps and systems to best determine the one that suits your needs.